4 tips that will make your Christmas more sustainable, with values and that you end the year with a positive impact.
The most beautiful time of the year is just around the corner and at Beflamboyant we want to be present for another year in this very special moment, but we don't want to go unnoticed.
At Christmas an average of 631€ per person is spent on Christmas gifts and articles, but is this expense necessary or there are more sustainable alternatives? If you also have doubts about whether your purchase is sustainable, in this blog post we ask you 5 questions to find out.
1. Unique, sustainable and original decoration
Are you one of those who associates being fashionable with constantly buying decoration elements? Who said that the most beautiful Christmas decorations are bought in stores?
Christmas decoration tries to simulate nature to transmit peace and comfort, but what if instead of buying unnecessarily we bet on an ecological Christmas? What if this Christmas we use oranges in our decoration? Yes! You read well! But don't worry, it's easier than it seems! And if you keep reading you will find out.
First of all, we must dehydrate our oranges and, for this, we can choose different ways:
- Dehydrate them with water and salt: for this you will need a container full of water and salt in which to let the oranges rest. Remember that they must be completely covered! After 10 minutes, take them out and place them on absorbent kitchen paper so that the dehydration process begins and... wait!
- Baked oranges!: For this way of dehydrating the fruit, you must cut the oranges into slices before putting them in the oven. Place the pieces of fruit on a tray and bake for 4 hours at 120o!
- The microwave, a good ally: yes! You can also use the microwave! To do this, you must cut our oranges into slices and place them on absorbent kitchen paper at a temperature of 800W for 3 minutes. When this time passes, you should change the kitchen paper and repeat the process until your oranges are completely dehydrated.
- Oranges in the Sun: Curious, right? Oranges can also be dried in the sun, although this process is slower than the previous ones. To do this, place your slices on absorbent paper on a surface where it receives sunlight and... wait!
Watch out! Keep in mind that after the dehydration process the oranges become more fragile, so we recommend letting them cool for a period of 12-24 hours before starting work. And then... comes the best part!
Let your imagination run wild and give a Christmas and sustainable touch to your home! Here are some ideas so you can get inspired and get the best results.
2. Meet the three "R's": reduce, recycle and reuse... Santa is watching you
Each Spaniard generates 4 million paper and cardboard waste per year, of which 30% represent only the Christmas season. This year, at Beflamboyant we want you to join us and be part of the change.
Reduce the purchase of excess wrapping paper, keep in mind that it pollutes a lot and we use it very little. Reuse all those wrappers that you have at home or even use pieces of newspapers or magazines as packaging, it is a very original and sustainable option that will give a vintage touch to your gifts.
And if you use our box? We assure you that it cannot be more beautiful! Go for it! For this sustainable decoration you will only need your sustainable shoe box, scissors, cord and decorative flowers.
Step 1: Roll up! Take the cord and start wrapping your box. You can decide the amount of material you use for your decoration, but don't forget that we want to wrap as sustainable as possible!
Step 2: Choose your decorative elements. In this case, we use flowers, but you can use whatever you want. Just let your imagination run wild!
3. Make small sustainable changes, they have a big impact
When we think of Christmas it is inevitable to think of excesses: excess gifts, excess decoration, excess food... but it is in our hands to change it. For this reason, from Beflamboyant we will give you tips so that you can enjoy an incredibly sustainable Christmas.
- Create a shopping list
Did you know that there are products that travel more than 5,000 kilometers before reaching your hands? We encourage you to bet on local commerce and consume seasonal, fresh and quality products that take care of you and our planet.
But this is not something that can only be applied to food, it can also be applied to footwear and it is what makes Beflamboyant truly sustainable. We manufacture our sustainable footwear just 150 km from our warehouse! You can discover our entire story HERE
4. Buy quality and not quantity. Give sustainable gifts and brands with values
At Beflamboyant we are aware that excessive purchases of gifts that are made at Christmas end up contaminating more than what is actually used. It's time to change.
We are not only a vegan and sustainable shoe brand. We are very aware of the environment and responsible purchases and we know that you are too.
Today, betting on sustainable brands is more important than we think, therefore, we invite you to join our change and give sustainable, long-lasting and timeless brands that allow you to show who you really are.
Making your Christmas a more sustainable time without losing its essence is possible. Will you join our change?