In this blog we tell you all about organic cotton and why you should choose it over traditional cotton.
What is cotton?
Cotton is a natural fiber extracted from the seeds of the cotton plant, grown in warm regions. Widely used in the textile industry, it is noted for its softness, breathability and versatility. The production process includes sowing, plant growth, boll formation and seed collection. These are processed into cotton fibers, which are spun and woven into fabrics used in clothing and household products. Cotton is prized for its soft feel and absorbency, making it a versatile material in a variety of fabrics and applications, from fashion to medical products and home textiles.
What is organic cotton?
Organic cotton is grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilizers. Instead of relying on harsh chemicals, farmers employ natural methods such as crop rotation, composting and biological pest control. This eco-friendly approach not only benefits the environment, but also ensures that the cotton fiber retains its natural purity and softness.
What differentiates organic cotton from conventional cotton?
The main distinction lies in the cultivation process. While conventional cotton is grown using chemicals, organic cotton is produced sustainably and in a way that is respectful of biodiversity. Additionally, organic cotton tends to be more breathable, soft, and durable, offering a superior user experience.
Is organic cotton vegan?
Yes! Organic cotton is 100% vegan. Since it is grown without the use of animal-derived inputs and without practices harmful to animals, organic cotton products are an ethical choice aligned with vegan values.
Can organic cotton be recycled?
Yes, organic cotton can be recycled. The recycling of cotton, whether organic or conventional, is a process that involves breaking down used cotton products to create new fibers or products.
How can I know that I am buying organic cotton?
Identifying whether a product is made of organic cotton may require some attention to labeling and the information provided by the brand. Here are some tips to help you determine if what you're buying is truly organic cotton:
- The most direct way to know if a product is made of organic cotton is to read the label. Many brands that use organic cotton will highlight it on the label to showcase their commitment to sustainability. Look for terms like "organic cotton" or "100% organic cotton."
- Look for recognized certifications for organic cotton. Certifications such as GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) or OCS (Organic Content Standard) indicate that the product has been produced according to specific organic standards. If you see any of these logos on the label, it's a sign that you're buying organic cotton.
- Research the brand; some brands are known for their commitment to sustainability and the use of organic materials. If you can't find clear information on the label, visit the brand's website to get details about their practices and the materials they use.
And you'll wonder why Beflamboyant, a vegan footwear brand made from corn leather, is talking about organic cotton...
Surprise!!!!! We are very happy to share with you the collaboration between Beflamboyant and Chulé, which has brought our new organic cotton socks to life.
If you thought your feet were already 100% Beflamboyant, let us tell you that you were wrong... Our next collection of socks in collaboration with Chulé will take your feet to the next level. Launching on the 4th of February!
Chulé was born in 2019 with the aim of bringing colour to the feet of its customers. A little before launching the brand, Miguel, one of the partners, was living in Madrid, and during a visit from his friends João and Gonçalo, the idea of starting a new business came up. As you know, coloured socks are very popular in Spain, but in Portugal, in 2018, this was not the reality. So the three partners, João, Miguel and Gonçalo saw the opportunity to launch a sock brand with a unique concept in their market (Portugal): high quality and sustainable socks, produced with organic cotton that are fun, original and connected to their country, in their initial collection all the drawings were based on Portuguese images (e.g. Galo de Barcelos). After 4 years of operation, Chulé now has three partners dedicated 100% to the business, with more than 50 points of sale in Portugal (multi-brand shops where they sell Chulé) and a website that has had orders from more than 50 countries around the world.
- Vegan and sustainable: Our socks are made with organic cotton, a sustainable material that respects the environment and animals. They are 100% vegan, because conscious fashion should not compromise ethics.
- They're not only good for the planet, they're also soft, warm and comfortable. Each pair has been designed with comfort in mind, so your feet enjoy every step. With a reinforced toe and heel to make them last and last.
Let's talk about socks.
Have you ever stopped to think why your favourite socks are your favourite socks? We all have those socks in our drawer that are just perfect, they warm the foot, they're breathable, they fit great and they're cool.
In this blog we're going to talk about some of the factors that make your favourite socks and not others. So, in keeping with the mission to find out why these socks won your heart and your feet, let's dive into some key factors that make one pair the undisputed king of your collection.
Nothing beats the frustration of investing in socks that quickly lose their shape and quality. Favourite socks prove their worth by resisting the wear and tear of time and maintaining their structural integrity even after multiple washings. The durability of these socks becomes a hallmark of reliability and endurance.
In our analysis of the second factor, we came across the relevance of breathability and freshness. We are not at all fans of the unpleasant feeling of sweaty feet.
- Perfect fit
An optimal fit becomes the third fundamental pillar. A perfect pair of socks is one that does not slip or feel too tight regardless of the movements made. For us, this perfect fit is the secret ingredient for a perfect pair of socks.
If you're still on the hunt for the perfect socks, here's what we consider to be the key tip to help you find them
Opt for high quality materials, such as cotton and even better if it's organic.
Why choose organic cotton socks?
- Sustainable: Opting for organic cotton socks is a step towards a more sustainable lifestyle. You contribute to the conservation of the environment by choosing products that are produced in an environmentally friendly way.
- Comfortable: The softness and breathability of organic cotton provides exceptional comfort.
- Respectful: Being vegan, organic cotton does not use animal products or chemicals that harm animals in its production.
- Durable: Organic cotton fibre is known for its durability. By choosing organic cotton socks, you are investing in products that will stand the test of time.
Now that you know all the tricks to find your perfect socks, you'll have no excuse for not doing it and settling for low quality products…